Monday, January 16, 2012

Braving the Bustling and Hustling of International Airports

Hello from CASABLANCA!!!

I can't believe I'm here right now.. Africa. Me? What a crazy idea... but here I am. 37 hours away from arriving in Fez, where I will be picked up and taken to Al Akhawayn University where I will finally meet up with my peers and my new home for the next 5 months. And all the stress of flights, strangers, delays, customs, airports... all that will be gone and the fun will begin! Not to say that flying wasn't fun... just more stressful than I like to deal with :) My seat mate from New York to Casablanca was super nice- she was on her way back home to Sierra Leone. SO COOL. My entire flight from New York consisted of mostly people going home to Casablanca or other parts of Africa. Including me, only about 5 Americans were on the entire flight. Definitely different from anything that I've ever experienced, but I'm sure that's going to be a pretty prevalent happenstance throughout my time here.
Sitting on the shuttle on the way to the Atlas Airport Hotel, two miles from the airport (nice and convenient) and being the only American on the shuttle, it was an interesting feeling. Being in the US, I don't usually feel out of place. That definitely happened today and yesterday on my way to Casablanca. So many people talking Arabic, French, and other African languages other than English, I felt (and still feel) ignorant and naive- not only do I barely know two languages, none of which are the main languages here in Morocco, but I've never been to Morocco either, which makes my ability to be knowledgeable about the area about as low as it can go. That is another reason why I am here though. Me coming here isn't to show the locals that I know everything about their home, but it is to learn from them and to gain more knowledge from them as I spend more time with them. And the people I have asked help from have been really gracious about it- one man from my flight talked to the security guard at the Mohammed V exit doors to double check I was headed in the right direction for the shuttles. The shuttle driver was super nice and helped me figure out where I was going and what I was doing (being on airplanes and in airports from 7:30 am Sunday morning to 5:30am Monday morning makes you a little bamboozled sometimes). I'm surprised the hotel let me check in so early- I was expecting to have to wait at least until 3pm this afternoon in order to get my room. But it took 10 minutes and I was handed a key to a tiny but quaint room up on the 4th floor with a bed I can spread out on and a ginormous shower which I will thoroughly enjoy here after I am done writing this. The only problem is how I am going to find food for the next day.. with $76 of American money in Dirhams, I should be okay, I just got to figure out where to get some...

Oh, and Mom: I didn't lose anything! My suitcase still had the scarf tied to it, my passport belt worked like a charm, and no one stole my ukulele case. Success? I think so :)

Somethings I figured out about travelling by myself: ask questions and people are most likely happy to answer. People who seem intimidating are quite the opposite.. unless they work at the airport. If you want something done, you have to do it yourself else the outcome you expect to get from it will not be what actually happens. Don't be scared to go up to people who work at the airports.. they are there to help you, what's the worst that could happen?

Also, I want to send a shout out to those of you who have written me notes throughout my flying days. The tips you have given me have helped and will help a lot, and it makes me feel supported even though I am thousands of miles away from all of you. It was definitely nerve wracking as I boarded the plane in New York to leave the states, so having those notes to read on the plane before the take off help a bunch (Lizzy, I love you!)


This is me. And this is my hotel room. And the bed. It's soft but firm at the saaaammee tiimmme. And someone's been making a commotion outside my door for at least an hour now... sounds like pans are being banged with wooden spoons...

Anyways... :)

Now it is time for a nice long hot shower, a nap, and a search for real food. Tomorrow night I fly to Fez (where I am supposed to buy a fez since that's what the cool people do) and make my way to Ifrane. One of the other exchange students who is studying at the university with me is on the same flight, so hopefully I will meet up with her soon. Her name is Alyssa.

Next stop: Al Akhawayn

2 comments: